Script, Shoot, Edit and Promote on One Device: A Smartphone
I get this question a lot: “What camera should I buy for making web videos?”
If you don’t have a good way to edit your video already, the answer is simple: consider a smartphone. They are not always the best at what they do, but they can do a lot.
Smartphone Camera Pros
- Script, shoot, edit, upload and promote on one device.
- The camera is good enough for most simple shots.
- Convenient. It’s probably always with you.
- The mic is good if your subject is close by.
Smartphone Camera Cons
- Camera apps can be slow to open.
- Very little image control like iris, gain, frame rate, etc.
- Incoming calls and messages can ruin your shot. (These can be turned off, but it makes it less convenient).
- External audio is available but your options are limited.
- Their small size can translate to shaky images.
- Limited mounting options (no built in mount).
Other Cameras to Consider
- “Flip” type cameras with USB connections for file transfer.
- Pocket-sized combo still/video cameras
- DSLR combo still/video cameras with interchangeable lenses.
- A real video camera, of course!
- If you own a smartphone, do some tests and see if this fits your workflow and expectations.
- Let me know if you have experience, thoughts or questions.